Thursday, January 12, 2012

Asgn_3A_Class_3_Article_Baker 2011_2012_01_13

Read 19368 Monya Baker. Tissue models: A living system on a chip. Nature 471 (7340):661-665, 2011. Post a PCRC on the Blog

9 comments:

  1. Will Matloff
    3A/Tissue Models

    0. Knew: Lung on a chip.

    1. Learned: The importance of 3D cell arrangements. Artery on a Chip and Liver on a Chip. Industry adoption of living systems on a chip.

    2. Pressing?: How can 3D cell arrangements be incorporated into mico-scale devices?

    3. Presentation: Pluripotent stem cells.

    4. Thoughts: It seems like one of the main difficulties is effectively deciding how to mimic the organ's functions on a chip. Some parts (such as small capillaries) seem very difficult to incorporate on chip without building them directly from cells, which is probably just as difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asgn_3A/Erica Curtis
    0. Knew: Have read the Lung on a Chip paper multiples times. Also aware of the importance of the microenvironment in terms of 3D structure, ECM interactions, mechanosensing, and proper flow.

    1. Learned: I had not heard of the artery on a chip application ("The Real McCoy"). I had not realized that a microfluidic platform could be used with harvested parts. The thought to use a platform like this for personalized medicine is an interesting thought.

    2. Pressing Question: What are the benefits of using tissue spheroids over other 3D constructs?

    3. Presentation: Organ on a Chip and Personalized Medicine.

    4. Thoughts: While some papers I have read have mentioned the order of connecting devices and the ability to switch between devices, wouldn't a more advanced network connection be needed? And, at this point, how would you differentiate if a biomarker was a product of one organ or another?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucas HOfmeister
    2A/Baker
    0. Knew: 2D is not good enough
    1. Learned: Everyone who makes one of these likes to tout the duration of viability of the model
    2. Pressing Question: "Chips are more consistent than whole mice" -- is that really an advantage. Seems like it isn't if you can properly characterize the variability and understand it
    3. Presentation: Biological "unit cell"?
    4. Thoughts: I noticed that 3D printing is not included in this paper, but it seems like a major facet of the field. It seems like these technologies should at least be a part of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ayeeshik Kole
    3A/Tissue Models

    0. Knew: I've read this paper once before, I was familiar with most of it.

    1. Learned: Dr. Khademhosseini is working on artificial circulatory systems which will be essential for tissues more than 3mm thick.

    2. Pressing?: How will the lack of re-creating the sinusoidal architecture of the liver in many of the 'liver-on-a-chip' projects affect physiological response?

    3. Presentation: Artery-on-chip

    4. Thoughts: I thought the collaboration between Hurel and L'Oreal was very intriguing and will be a great application of on-chip platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asgn_3A_Baker/Weller Emmons
    0. Knew: very little on organs on a chip

    1. Learned: That modeling multiple organs on a chip is very beneficial for drug testing.

    2. Pressing?: How much better will 3D models be?

    3. Presentation: Drug testing via Organ on a chip

    4. Thoughts: I was completely unaware of the pharmaceutical uses of organs on a chip. Really interesting article and great introduction considering I had very little knowledge of this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zach Eagleton
    3A/Tissue models

    0. Knew: very little

    1. Learned: Organs on a chip will be primarily used to test drug response. Not the same thing as tissue engineering. Goal to replace or better knowledge since animal testing is not ideal.
    2. Pressing?: What is the difference between engineering these organs on a chip and reengineering the entire organ via stem cells.
    3. Presentation: effects of polymers and microfluidics on cell behavior
    4. Thoughts: Since I didn't know very much very interesting article, especially about

    ReplyDelete